Warm Up Lessons

Warm Up Lessons for Classroom Use

These warm up lessons are designed for pair and group work. Each lesson covers the topics that appear in the Listening NYC Video course. Begin with page 1 (Warm Up), then page 2 (Talk Time).

Lesson 1: Meeting New People
Lesson 2: Exotic Foods
Lesson 3: Going Green
Lesson 4: The City That Never Sleeps
Lesson 5: Great Pizza Debate
Lesson 6: Looking for Love
Lesson 7: Stress Relief
Lesson 8: Beauty Needs
Lesson 9: Pampering Pets

The "Talk Time" sheets are intended to elicit free and open-ended discussion in the groups. I encouraged students NOT to finish the sheets in the 30 minutes or so that I gave them. If they hadn't finished in the allotted time, it meant they were actively conversing. I also let them skip around if they wanted to. I put the "wh-" questions in there just as fail-safe device to make sure they were not just quickly asking and answering the questions to get it "over with." I encouraged them to use the questions to simply initiate the discussion, but to let it go where it went naturally. I even told them that they could write just simple one or two word answers on the sheets because the conversation element was much more important to me than their documenting what their partners said.

The "Warm Up" sheets can be used the same way. After they check "true" or "false" for themselves, they are to turn to a partner and change the statements into questions. I encouraged them to have mini-discussions about the questions if they wanted to. I gave them about 10 minutes to do this section.